Racial Equity Statement
6/22/2020 - A message from the Chestnut Hill Institutional Leaders
Once again, we find ourselves grieving the unjust loss of life and acts of violence against Black Americans in our country. As a group of community-based organizations that work together and collaborate on a regular basis, we unequivocally condemn violence, standing in solidarity with other communities and with every person who rejects hatred, racism, bigotry, intimidation, and social division.
As leaders of various Chestnut Hill institutions, we want to make it known that:
- We believe that Black Lives Matter.
- We maintain that peaceful protest and informed discourse are foundations of American democracy.
- We believe that racism creates inequity and inequality in economic and educational opportunity, housing, health care, and environmental security.
- We pledge to work toward the elimination of racism and the social inequities, by working together collectively, and being proactive in our individual activities, as never before in order to create a more just, inclusive, and peaceful society.
- We commit to awareness, growth and action through self-examination, recognition and dismantling of power imbalances where they exist, and institutional accountability within our organizations.
Signed jointly by:
Chestnut Hill Business Association
Chestnut Hill College
Chestnut Hill Community Association
Chestnut Hill Conservancy
Chestnut Hill Hospital
Chestnut Hill Local
Friends of the Wissahickon
Philadelphia Cricket Club
Springside Chestnut Hill Academy
Woodmere Art Museum